Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What You Need to Know About Your NETFLIX Account



Why pay $8 to watch one movie one time when you can pay that same amount of money to watch hundreds of movies all the time with NETFLIX? 

Yes. I know. Some people have to see a movie the minute it comes on screen. If you are one of those people, you can skip this blog. If, however, you have the patience to wait for a movie to come out on Netflix, read on.

Everyone knows by now that Netflix offers lots of movies and television programs to anybody willing to pay $7.99 a month. Yes, only $7.99 a month! You won't get currently running programs or recently released movies, but you will get LOTS of movies and television shows, and some of those TV shows are only a year old.



Netflix is available on your computer, your wii, your PS3, your XBox, your iPad, your iPhone, and many other devices. No matter how many devices you have, though, Netflix lets you register up to only 6 devices on one account. 

Because you can access Netflix through so many devices, family members who are using Netflix at the same time you are means YOU might not be able to watch movies on Netflix, because Netflix allows you to access only two devices at a time.

Last year one of my daughters and two of my grandsons moved in with me. One of those grandsons had an XBox 360. I allowed him to access MY Netflix on HIS XBox while he was living with me. 



After everyone moved out, he continued to use my Netflix in his new home. At first it was no problem (and I didn't realize that it could be a problem, because I thought I was the only one using Netflix). 

Then one of my grandsons moved back in with me while my other grandson continued to use my Netflix. Now it became a problem. The grandson who lived with me often used Netflix at the same time I was using it. Phone calls and texts to my other grandson asking him to stop using Netflix went unanswered and I had to come up with a solution.

Fortunately Netflix is a company that is easily accessible. When you visit the Netflix web site you find an actual working phone number which links you to an actual person. That alone is a plus.

And what you find when you connect with Netflix is that Netflix's customer service is extraordinary! The customer service reps I talked to each time told me which devices were currently in use, which movies or television shows were currently being accessed, and how many minutes into the show my grandson had already watched!

But even customer service can't prevent your friends and relatives from hacking into your account, a problem Netflix recognizes but hasn't been able to stop – yet. If the person who is using your Netflix account knows your birthday and your email address, he or she can get your password. 

Netflix offered to disconnect all devices using my Netflix account and reconnect it with a new password. 

The new password, however, was only a temporary fix. Because my grandson knew my email address and my birthday, he was able to access my account and find out what that password was. He continued to use my Netflix account.



So I called Netflix again and this time I devised a remedy that fixed the problem permanently. How? I used a brand new email address and a brand new password nobody will ever figure out. I also sent a text to my grandson telling him that it wasn't fair for me to pay for an app I couldn't use.

Now, when I turn on Netflix, I can actually watch Netflix.

By the way, If you have several people accessing several devices, at only $7.99 a month, just get another Netflix account. You'll probably see an ad for Netflix somewhere on this blog.

And just in case you think I'm a mean grandma, please know I love ALL of my grandchildren, including the one who thought he could get away with using my Netflix account :)

Want to read more from this author? Please see the sidebar and THANK YOU for visiting!


No comments:

Post a Comment