Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Thinking of Joining the Disney Club? DON'T!


Several years ago I decided to join the Disney Club. I wanted to get all of the classics. Period. I did not want to get every single movie that Disney ever put out from Disney's beginning until the day I died. 

Don't get me wrong – I love Disney movies. Always have. HOWEVER, trying to quit the Disney Club is like trying to get out of the Hotel California (Eagles song). Disney allows you to join its club, but you can never leave.

Disney politely tells you that if you want to cancel your membership, after you have fulfilled all of its requirements, all you have to do is call 1-800-362-4587.

Good luck with that. You will be sent on an endless trip through the telephone circuitry that always leads you back to the same taped recording you received when you first made your call. You think maybe you missed something, so you hang up and try your call again. No luck the second time either.

Then you find a different phone number, so you call that one (1-800-362-4527). But guess what? You get the same recording. You can never talk to a real person at the Disney Club, and nobody there will ever cancel your membership. They threaten to cancel it if you return too many DVDs, but they never actually follow through with canceling your membership. I know. I have returned LOTS of DVDs, and I still receive those envelopes every time I miss the email that asked me if I wanted it.

When I return too many in a row, Disney sends me notices reminding me that all I have to do is respond to their emails, but I get over 300 emails a day – the likelihood of losing a Disney reminder is astronomically high, especially when I have something to do other than sit at my computer and open over 300 emails a day.

So, if you are considering joining the Disney Club, make sure your commitment is for life. Don't forget to respond to Disney's emails, and make sure you have enough money in your checking account to cover the cost of the DVD you didn't want, because if you become overdrawn, your bank may charge you $25 every single time you get a new Disney movie, and believe me, $25 can break you when you have less than what Disney charges for a movie.


Remedy for me? I'll just keep sending those movies back. Maybe eventually, when Disney gets tired of paying for all the postage, the Disney Club will cancel my membership (PLEASE)!

Best bet for you? Purchase your movies through Walmart or Target. They're sometimes cheaper anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment